PEEPS (People for Earth's Environmental Preservation)
People for the Earth’s Environmental Preservation Society (PEEPS) is an organization made up of students, faculty and staff dedicated to promoting environmental sustainability at SRC through educational programs, field trips, recycling, and reducing waste at our college.
Canton Campus activities include:
Earth Day Celebration and Tree Planting in the month of April.
Fall/Spring Campus Clean-Ups that beautify the campus for all staff and students to enjoy.
Field trips to sustainability conferences, museums, and recycling facilities to learn new ways of reducing consumption and recycling more materials.
Highlight Room display annually to bring attention to energy conservation, and informs students about our unique eco-system in central Illinois, places to visit locally, and plants and animals native to the area.
Fundraising to support our organization and its causes. Some activities in the past have included sale of reusable shopping bags and mugs.
Regular meetings to exchange ideas and plan for future events.
The PEEPS Canton Campus chapter plans to meet weekly. For information, contact Stacy Swanson, Chemistry instructor at Canton campus. All updates are also posted on Facebook!
Macomb Campus Chapter Current Projects:
- Campus recycling program. We have several bins all over campus to collect paper and plastic
- Sell our mugs as a fundraiser. We are selling on campus and at Macomb Farmers Market
Macomb Campus Future Projects:
- Planning more ways to green our campus and raise environmental awareness among students and staff
- SRC PEEPS members serving as mentors to the Macomb High ecology club
- Showing an environmental movie in the auditorium – open to everyone
- Participating in the WIU environmental summit
PEEPS meet every Monday at noon in M208 on the Macomb campus. For information, contact Kristy Boggs, Biology instructor at Macomb campus.