The mission of Spoon River College TRIO Student Support Services is to provide our students with academic support and personal guidance in successfully completing a program of study at the college and additional assistance in transitioning to a four-year college or university.
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded program designed to help students overcome social, academic, class, and cultural barriers in higher education.
Our program aims to improve the academic success of our students and increase the number of participants graduating and transferring to four year universities.
Spoon River College’s TRIO participants are provided with personalized advising, resources, and additional learning opportunities that enhance their overall college experience and motivate them for success.
We provide the following services for TRIO students:
Personal and Academic Enrichment Workshops
- Our workshops help students build essential academic skills, learn about personal financial literacy and also develop relevant career and leadership skills.
Professional and Peer Tutors
- Professional tutors in Math, English and the Sciences offer students both one-on-one and group study opportunities from well-versed professionals that hold degrees from the field of study. Peer tutors are available for one-on-one and group study opportunities, as well, and are second year students that have earned a B or better in the course.
Academic, Career and Transfer Advising
- Our TRIO Advisor will help you select classes that will work best for your degree plan and major. She will also work with you to plan to your transfer institution. TRIO students also have access to career software to help them select a major and career path!
- TRIO students are able to take advantage of priority registration, which allows them register two weeks early!
Financial Aid and Scholarship Guidance
- Financial aid can be confusing! TRIO staff is here to help you make sense of it all and help you with finding scholarship opportunities, as well.
Assistance in Completing the FAFSA
- TRIO staff are trained on the FAFSA to best assist our students. We hold group FAFSA completion events and also individual FAFSA completion appointments.
TRIO Scholarship Program
- TRIO offers a scholarship program exclusively for our students! $5,000 is awarded each spring.
Application Fee Waivers to Four-Year Colleges and Universities
- Application fees waivers are available upon request for TRIO transfer students, as it is a part of a cost in the transfer process!
Cultural Trips & Campus Visits to Four Year Colleges and Universities
- Explore museums, art exhibits and participate in community service projects, as a part of the program. Visit four year colleges and universities to plan your transfer, as well! All off campus activities are at no expense to the student.
Textbook Library & Instructional Aides
- TRIO students are able to borrow textbooks, graphing calculators and voice recorders while on campus, and during regular business hours. The TRIO program prides themselves on the extensive textbook library available for our students!
Printing Privileges Within the TRIO Office
- Printing expenses can add up while attending college, so we have free printing available for our students!