The SRC Community Chorus was formed in 2005 by Carol Davis, Dean of Community and Workforce Education, to (1) provide quality entertainment within the Spoon River College District; (2) provide an avenue for local talents to perform; and (3) raise funds to support the SRC Foundation's scholarship program and performing arts/equipment at SRC. A generous grant from the Community Foundation of Central Illinois assisted in the group's establishment.
Over 200 individuals -- students, central Illinois community members, SRC faculty and staff, and friends of the college -- have participated in the last 13 years as musicians, technicians, singers, actors, and dancers. Membership/participation is open to anyone with a love of performance. The performances take place place in the SRC Theater in Taylor Hall on the Canton Campus, at venues offering dinner theater opportunities, at local churches, and other facilities.
The chorus has established the Harley L. Davis Memorial Scholarship, the Tom Greenwell Memorial Scholarship, the Marge Saville Memorial Scholarship, the Roger Howerter Memorial Scholarship, and the Gail A. Mathis Memorial Scholarship. A sixth named, endowed scholarship, the Vicki Murphy Memorial Scholarship, is currently being funded.
Membership/participation is open to anyone with a love of performance. Contact Carol Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com; or Colin Davis, SRC Foundation Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (309) 649-6395.
SRC Chorus Production of Guys and Dolls to Feature Television and Movie Actor Dustin Lewis
Photo provided by Dustin Lewis
The SRC Community Chorus will present the Tony Award-Winning Musical Comedy Guys and Dolls June 27-30, 2019 at the SRC Theatre in Taylor Hall. Leading the cast will be Canton native and stage/tv/movie actor Dustin Lewis in the lead role of Sky Masterton.
"Dustin began his acting career at the Fulton County Playhouse when he was very young," said director Carol Davis. "The idea of Dustin playing Sky Masterson began about a year ago over lunch. It seemed impossible because of his busy filming schedule, but we are so pleased he could find the time to return home for a week and play Sky for us."
Since leaving Canton, Dustin has amassed over 50 stage performances nationally and internationally, as well as several awards and recognitions. He currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia and has recently been seen on television in Ozark, Good Girls, House of Cards, Timeless, Turn: Washington's Spies, Nashville, Swamp Murders, and portrayed the re-occurring role of Paul Revere in Sleepy Hollow. His recent film credits include First Man, The Hate U Give, Come Sunday, Killing Reagan and others. To view Dustin's work, visit @RealDustinLewis on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter or www.dustinlewis.org.
Dustin will be joined by Lindsey Larson as Sarah, Carla Bobell as The Narrator, Corrinna Markland as Miss Adelaide, Alex Smith as Nathan Detroit, and Chad Murphy as Nicely-Nicely Johnson. Also featured in the show are Tony Roberts, Tori Albanito, Natalie Orwig, Andrea Barbknecht, Lorie Rude, Aja Lawson, Bruce Beal, Aaron Haacke, Trygve Meade, Mike Varnes, Greg Mathis, Ron Smith, Nicky Gerber, Sue Smith, Janet Munson, Cecily Burnham, Susan Juliusson, Craig Zilly, Bob Champlin, and BJ Stone.
The production features over 50 actors, musicians, and technicians with direction by Carol Davis and musical direction by Pamela Willison.
Musicians include Pamela Willison, piano; Tony Roberts, keyboard; Matt Buczko, trumpet; Drew Ponder, bass; Tom Sandman, percussion; Joey Buczko, trombone; and Tammy Weaver, reeds.
Guys and Dolls is presented through Music Theatre International and with generous support from the Two Rivers Arts Council. Tickets will go on sale to the general public starting May 15 and more information will be forthcoming as it becomes available.
Winter Tales and Tunes (December 1 and 2, 2018)
- We welcome all to be part of our winter concert, with performances on December 1 & 2; no auditions are required. Rehearsals begin Thursday, September 20.
- In addition to our focus on classical, traditional, and contemporary songs of winter and the holidays, this year we are adding a few new components to keep things fresh and alive. Even Charles Dickens and Mr. Scrooge will be there!
- Contact Carol Davis (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for rehearsal schedule and more information).
Mini-Concert with Barry Cloyd (February 10, 2019)
- Barry is an award-winning singer/songwriter from Central Illinois who performs throughout the United States and beyond.
- The mini-concert will feature songs of the Illinois Rivers, with a special nod to the Spoon River (Spoon River College, you know...).
- Check out Barry on Facebook, or go to his website, http://barrycloyd.com.
Guys and Dolls (June 27-30, 2019)
- Everyone is welcome to be part of this classic production. We need actors, singers, musicians, technicians, choreographers, costumers, set builders/painters -- it's a big, old musical, so there is a place for everyone.
- Work is already beginning behind the scenes.
- For more information, contact Carol Davis (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Concerts and Productions since 2005:
The SRC Community Chorus presents 2-3 concerts, revues, plays, and musicals each year. To date, the list includes:
- 50 Years of Broadway
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- A Golden Holiday
- Broadway, Too
- Songs for the Season
- A Joyous Jubilee
- Cole, Irving, George, & Jerome
- An American Choral Mosaic
- A Winter Tapestry
- Lincoln's America
- Broadway, Start to Finish
- Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Songs and Snowflakes
- Handel's Messiah (twice)
- Winter Wonders
- Winter Tales & Tunes
- Man of La Mancha
- Mass Theatrical*
- Pirates of Penzance
- Hotel Holidaze*
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
- 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- Bleacher Bums
- A Tuna Christmas
*Denotes an original production written by a member of the SRC Community Chorus
A Piano Potpourri (February 2018)
Songs and Snowflakes (December 2017)
Vanities (August 2017)
A Joyous Jubilee (December 2016)
Bleacher Bums (September 2016)
Hotel Holidaze (March 2016)
25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (June 2015)
Quilters (Sept. 2014)
BROADWAY: Start to Finish (March 2014)
Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Nov. 2013)
Man of La Mancha (July 2013)
You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown (May 2013)
The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber (Feb. 2013)
Messiah (Dec. 2012)
Cole, Irving, George and Jerome (Feb. 2012)
Mass Theatrical (Feb. 2011)
Lincoln's America (Nov. 2010)
Holiday Show (Dec. 2009)