SRC Response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) | FAQs Section

​Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

(Last Updated: May 11, 2020 8:44 am)

If you have a question that is not addressed in these FAQs, please email your question to

Federal CARES ACT 

What is the Federal CARES ACT?
It stands for Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Stimulus and is intended to provide direct economic assistance to those impacted by the pandemic.

What are the eligibility requirements?
To qualify for the funds, students had to:
• Be enrolled in classes on March 23, 2020
• File a FAFSA for calendar year 2019-20 to determine basic student eligibility under section 484 of the Higher Education Act as follows:
• Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate.
• Not be enrolled in elementary or secondary school (dual credit).
• Be making satisfactory academic progress.
• Not owe an overpayment on Title IV grants or loans.
• Not be in default on a Title IV loan.
• Submit a FAFSA for calendar year 2019-20, including the student signature on the statement of educational purpose and a valid Student SSN.
• Be a U.S. citizen or national, permanent resident, or other eligible noncitizens.
• Have Selective Service registration verified.
• Have Social Security Number verified.
• Have returned fraudulently obtained Title IV funds
• Not have fraudulently received Title IV loans in excess of annual or aggregate limits.
• Have repaid Title IV loan amounts in excess of annual or aggregate limits if obtained inadvertently.
• Not have a federal or state conviction for drug possession or sale, with certain time limitations.

How much will I receive?
Awards of $400 will be given to all students meeting the eligibility requirements.

How will I receive the payment?
Funds will be paid directly to students via a paper check or direct deposit, and are issued according to the student’s refund selection on record with SRC through Nelnet.  Please make sure your address with SRC is up to date. You will receive an e-mail from Nelnet with directions on how to update/make your refund selection option. You will have 24 hours from the time of this e-mail to update your refund option.

What if I have an outstanding balance due to the College?
You will still receive the entire amount. Any balance due to SRC should be paid using normal billing procedures.

What expenses are covered?
Funds are available to students for the sole and exclusive purpose of providing emergency financial aid grants to students for their expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and child-care expenses.

By cashing the check or using the direct deposit, you acknowledge you experienced some cost related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus.

Will this money be considered as part of my income?
No, you do not have to report this as income when filing a FAFSA, and it is not considered financial aid when calculating financial need and award eligibility.

NOTE: The Department of Education is yet to determine if CARES Act funding will be listed on a 1098T.  Additional information will be shared on the College website as it comes available. This is NOT considered taxable income. IRS Website

Are there any other financial opportunities for students?
The following may be available:

1. If you have experienced a loss of job or benefits and do not already qualify for the maximum amount of financial aid, you may be able to file a Special Conditions form for Summer 2020 or the 2020-21 Academic Year.  Contact Financial Aid at 309-649-7030.

2. Spoon River College Foundation Emergency Hardship Grant Application Spoon River College Foundation

3. Unemployment Benefits - please note eligibility has been expanded. See Illinois Department of Employment Security

What if I have other questions?
For additional details about the use of Federal CARES Funds or Spoon River College’s response to COVID-19, please monitor the college website at Spoon River College. You may also call the financial aid office at 309-649-7030, or the Business Office at 309-649-7021.

Contacting SRC

How can I get in contact with Spoon River College?
Please call our main line at (309) 647-4645, and we will connect you to the person or department you need. If you prefer to contact us by email, you can send a message to Support services such as academic advising, success coaching, mental health counseling, tutoring, and others will be available virtually. During the Governor's "stay at home" order, campus facilities are not available for walk-in services.

Can I register for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 classes?
Yes! We encourage you to contact your advisor by email or phone. If you are a new student, or if you are unsure how to contact your advisor, you may email or call us at (309) 647-4645. You may also access registration online or fill out a registration request form.

Can I request my transcripts? 
Follow the steps online.  If you have any questions, call us at (309) 649-7020

If I am a veteran and have a question about Financial Aid, who should I contact?
Contact our Financial Aid Department for information. You can reach us by phone at (309) 649-7030. You may also send an email to

The SAT or ACT test I had planned to take has been cancelled. What should I do?
Please contact us. You may send an email to or call us at (309) 647-4645. We can discuss the options that are best for your situation.

What if I am a student with disability accommodations, and I have a question?
Please contact Andrea White via email at or by calling (309) 649-6305. 

I need assistance from the technology help desk.  How can I contact them?
The SRC technology help desk is available.  The best way to reach out is to send an email to You can also reach them by phone at (309) 649-6381. If no one answers, leave a voicemail -- it is monitored frequently. 

How do I apply at SRC? 
Follow the steps online. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at (309) 649-7020


How do I make payments while SRC is closed to the public?
Students may make payments to their student accounts online by utilizing the Nelnet payment portal. To access the portal, log in to your My SRC account and click “Paying for College” along the left side of the screen.  Next, click “My Payment Portal by Nelnet” which is located on the right side of your screen.  The Nelnet payment portal will accept payments in full (SP20, SU20, FA20 terms) or you may sign up for a deferred payment agreement (SU20, FA20 terms). For past due balances from terms prior to SP20, please email to set up a payment agreement.​

What are the tuition deadlines?
The summer tuition deadline has been extended to May 15. The fall tuition deadline is August 3.

Spring 2020 Semester 

What if I’m unhappy with the grade I earned due to classes moving online?
Since the COVID-19 pandemic may impact students’ ability to earn a desired grade, the College has adopted a temporary grading policy option that applies only for the spring 2020 semester. Please see information regarding the Spring 2020 S/U Grading Option on the SRC website. This page also provides a link to the S/U Grading Option Request Form. NOTE: Before making this important grading decision, please review the document, Key Considerations for Choosing S/U Grading Options and consult with your advisor. Students can make this change any time between May 11 and June 11, 2020.

Summer 2020 Semester 

Can I register for Summer 2020 classes?
Yes! We encourage you to contact your advisor by email or phone. If you are a new student, or if you are unsure how to contact your advisor, you may email or call us at (309) 647-4645. You may also access registration online or fill out a registration request form.

What is the status of summer semester? Will students be able to come to campus for face-to-face classes? 
Due to the extension of the Governor's shelter in place order, the majority of our summer classes have been moved to an alternative delivery format. Students will be contacted with details. We expect to be able to have students return to campus for face-to-face classes later in the summer semester.

What is the deadline for summer tuition?
The summer tuition deadline has been extended to May 15. 

When do summer classes begin?
Summer classes begin June 1.

Fall 2020 Semester 

Can I register for Fall 2020 classes?
Yes! We encourage you to contact your advisor by email or phone. If you are a new student, or if you are unsure how to contact your advisor, you may email or call us at (309) 647-4645. You may also access registration online or fill out a registration request form.

What is the deadline for fall tuition?
The fall tuition deadline is August 3. 

What is the status of fall semester? Will students be able to come to campus for face-to-face classes? 
At this point in time, we are planning to maintain a normal semester with all classes in their current format, meaning face-to-face and hybrid courses will remain as such. 

When do fall classes begin? 
Fall classes begin August 24.

Dual Credit Courses

How do I register for a dual credit course?
Our Dual Credit Coordinator, Eve Zimmerman, can assist you! You can email her at, or you can call her at (309) 649-6221. 


When are book rentals due?  When is book buyback taking place?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the SRC Bookstore will be EXTENDING book rental returns through May 25, 2020. There will be NO in-person rental returns until after the college re-opens to the public. For information on how to return book rentals by mail, visit the SRC Bookstore webpage. Spring book buybacks will take place online through MBS only. You will fill out the information on their website, and they will give you a prepaid label to send your books to them. After receiving your books, they will send you a check. For more information on book buybacks through MBS, visit the SRC Bookstore webpage

Is the bookstore open?
Our “real” bookstore might be closed for the remainder of the semester, but you can still purchase Spoon River College/Snapper apparel and merchandise online through BSN Sports. Several brands to choose from, no minimum order required, and it’s shipped right to your home. Visit the Snappers Bookstore website and click on the BSN Sideline Store graphic to shop.

What is the easiest way to send back my book rentals?
We are now offering free shipping for students to return their rentals.  Print your free label by visiting: USPS Return Label.

Student Success

What if I need tutoring?

We recommend reaching out to SRC tutors online. Abby Beck is the Canton/Havana Student Success Coach, and she can be contacted by email at or by phone at (309) 649-6225. Mandy Kreps is the Macomb/Rushville Student Success Coach, and she can be contacted by email at or by phone at (309) 833-6048. You can also watch this quick 5-minute video that offers strategies to help... 5 Keys to Success for Online Learning.  


Are plans still in place to hold a commencement ceremony in May?
Because social distancing is so critical to defeating the COVID-19 pandemic, Spoon River College has made the difficult decision to cancel the Spring 2020 Commencement ceremony. We would like to offer graduates the opportunity to participate in a virtual ceremony. Please see FAQs below for information on cap/gown/tassel refunds and plans for the virtual ceremony. 

What if I already ordered my cap, gown, and tassel?
Students who already ordered a cap, gown, and tassel have the following options:
- Keep order the same -- receive full cap, gown, and tassel (no refund).
- Receive tassel only ($20 refund will be issued).
- Receive nothing and fully cancel order ($25 refund will be issued).
Please email Janet Munson at by April 12 to let her know your preference.  If you do not contact her, the College will assume you want a refund, and no cap, gown, or tassel will be ordered. Information regarding the distribution of caps, gowns, and tassels will be provided at a later date.
Is SRC planning to hold a virtual commencement ceremony?
Yes! At SRC, we feel it is important to celebrate the accomplishments of our students, and we are planning a virtual commencement this spring. Here are some details...
- Graduates who would like to participate in the virtual ceremony may submit a photo for recognition. In their virtual commencement ceremony photo, graduates may choose to wear everyday clothing, dressy attire, or traditional cap, gown, and tassel.
- Photos should be submitted to by May 26.
- A video showing each graduate's photo with degree/certificate information listed on screen will be created.
- Degree/certificate information will be confirmed by SRC student services for accuracy.

How will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed to students in June. Please ensure the address we have on file for you is correct.


I recently applied for a scholarship at SRC or am looking to apply.  Will the current situation change the scholarship timeline?
The application for 2020-21 SRC Foundation Scholarships was due on March 16, 2020.  Because potential applicants had multiple ways to submit their application, and because the application was originally released October 1, 2019, the SRC Foundation will not be extending this deadline. Applicants will be informed within the next few weeks whether they’ll be offered a scholarship for the 2020-21 academic year. Current (Spring 2020 semester) Macomb students who applied for a Fellheimer Scholarship for this semester will be informed of their application status by early April.  Dual Credit Scholarship applications for the Fall 2020 semester will be distributed shortly and due June 30, 2020. This is subject to change at the discretion of the SRC Foundation Board and SRC staff as new information surfaces.

Student Housing

Are the Snapper Villas (student housing) still open?
The Snapper Villas are open and operating for their residents, but closed to the public. They are offering virtual tours via video and Facetime. They are accepting applications for summer apartments as well as applications for apartments in the 2020-2021 academic year. Please note that the Snapper Villas provide student housing for SRC students, but are not owned or operated by Spoon River College. For direct questions, please contact Resident Hall Director Alex Shake at (309) 998-2467. ​​While the Snapper Villas provide
student housing for SRC students, the Snapper Villas are not owned or operated by Spoon River College.


How can I cope with anxiety that the COVID-19 environment has created?

COVID-19 has brought about many rapid changes. Our student counselor has recommended this article as a good read for handling Coronavirus-related stress. 

I’m having trouble finding meals during this time. What can I do?
Many programs have been created to assist those in need. Please check community resources or consult with social services in your area.

What is a good source for information about COVID-19? 
Please visit:    

What if I do not have access to WiFi for online classes?
Several internet providers are offering free internet access as a response to COVID-19: 
T-Mobile -  Starting now - ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming). 
Xfinity WiFi Free For Everyone. Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser

What if I’m having trouble with utilities?
Some utility companies have offered assistance as a response to COVID-19. Ameren’s info is listed below. 
Ameren - In response to the economic hardships that our residential and business customers may experience due to the COVID-19 pandemic, effective today, Ameren Illinois will suspend service disconnections and forgive late payment fees for non-payment through at least May 1. Customers needing assistance with paying their bill should contact our customer care team at for payment options.

For other utility options, check your city website. 

What are some resources for businesses?
Look at our Outreach Center for helpful links.

General Questions

Will any athletic events be taking place for the rest of the semester?
All spring competition sports are canceled for the remainder of the spring semester per NJCAA. Spring competition includes all practices, regular season, post-season, and national championship play.

Is SRC taking extra precautions in cleaning and sanitizing?
Like so many others right now, SRC will be taking extra steps in cleaning. Special attention will be paid to doorknobs, handles, drinking fountains, light switches, faucets, bathrooms, cafeteria, etc. during this heightened state of concern. Faculty and staff will also be cleaning their personal spaces. All cleaning products will follow CDC guidelines.

What are SRC employees doing to stay healthy and to prevent the spread of COVID-19? 
Upon publication of this statement, we are not aware of any member of the Spoon River College community who has a suspected or a confirmed case of COVID-19. Employees have been encouraged to wash their hands regularly and practice recommended hygiene protocol from Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Employees have been instructed to “self-assess” for symptoms before they come to work. If any employee feels sick at any time, they’ve been instructed to contact their supervisor, stay off campus, phone their medical provider and consider a self-quarantine.